Sunday, October 24, 2010

In agony...


Seawatching with back ache isn't much fun I can tell you. Today I have been hobbled by pain, so not much done...

An hour seawatching -

Velvet Scoter 1 pair close in N.
Bonxie 1N
Arctic Skua 2N
Goldeneye 3N
Red throated Diver 6N
Sooty Shearwater 2N
Manx Shearwater 1N
Barnacle Goose 1N
Purple Sandpiper 2 S

A young Peregrine was spotted about a mile offshore, heading towards me. It was carrying some small unfortunate migrant like a thrush or a starling and flew inland towards the heugh. Its marvellous how these birds see some prey so far offshore...

JWR picked out 2 Little Auks N but I couldnt get on to them.

After this we had a short trip to Alnmouth to look for the Shorelark found by AT / ADMc on Friday. It was still around yesterday but despite a good search we couldnt find it today. Of note here were 6 Whooper Swans, 35 Pinkfeet, 3 Song Thrush and 9 Redpoll all south along the dunes.

This afternoon was filled by lots of whinging about my back, but a Little Egret flying north over the back field was an unbelievable garden tick! Its only a few months ago I commented on Deans blog at how unlikely that would be here...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done with the Little Egret, Stewart.
Maybe i should say that about Smew, that it`ll be very unlikely on my patch ;-)

I can fully sympathise with you regards backache.

Birding about Northumberland said...

Fabulous rainbow shot, hope your back improves soon.

Warren Baker said...

Little Egret indeed ! If you read my last post you'll see that I was after that one, :-)

My back gives me jip too, I put it down to all that leaning back looking through my bins all day :-)