Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lovely Day...

I had an impromptu days holiday today to wait in for the heating engineer. When he'd done his stuff I pottered around here taking Bunty for a walk or two. The weather has been lovely and clear, sunny with blue skies though a tad cool. The sea was flat calm too but there wasn't much to see...


Above -  A phone snap of the view from the coast field at lunchtime today. 


29 Curlew in the coast fields included one in full moorland song, a great sound.

At lunchtime on our walk I was suprised to hear a Raven calling. As I turned, one flew south behind the village followed by its mate. Its a full month since my last sighting, so they definately aren't staying around here. Maybe they are at Newton ;)...


At dusk we had a wander to the pond. 9 Moorhens and a dozen Mallard were to be expected but suprise of the day came when an immature drake Shoveler flew out at my feet to land on the far side. Rare indeed here as we have no open marshy ponds for them in the Boulmer / Howick/ Longhoughton area. A full Howick patch tick and one I cant see me repeating this year...

The herons were very vocal in the nesting trees and 3 Stock Doves flew over. Along the lane, 6 Lesser Redpolls were in the alders and two Woodcock flushed underfoot...

All in all a pleasant day off...

OFFH List  - 96

3 comments:

Johnnykinson said...

Lesser Redpolls, i saw 9 of those at Gosforth Park on Sunday !!!!!!
Thanks very much Stewart.
John ( Sedgy Warbler)

Alan Gilbertson said...

I must have just missed you. I went up there just after one and spent the next hour or so photographing the fulmars from the cliff top.

Stewart said...

Alan, should have called in for a cuppa! But I suppose I normally would be at work....