Thursday, August 06, 2009

A lovely warm calm sunny day today.

At luchtime I had a half hour to kill at Newbiggin so I had a brief seawatch. 11 Manx Shearwaters flew south in one flock, 3 adult and 1 juv Roseate Terns flitted around the front and a flock of 13 Common Scoter held a single Teal.

Back home tonight I had a look for cetaceans as the sea was like an oily mill pond. None were showing but I could hear young guillies and razorbills begging and calling even when I got back into the village.

A lone Goosander was in with the young Kittiwakes floating close in to the bay and a single newly fledged Kestrel was begging for food from its mother on the back field. 30 odd Oystercatchers and a Dunlin flew south and one of the Whimbrel was still on the rocks too.

Many thanks to all who advised me on my sugaring techniqes. Roger reckons I should drink the ale and get Jane to make a cake with the rest, Andrew is getting me to soak my socks in it, Steve reckons I can creosote the fence and old crow reckons she must get some! If it wasn't for Dean I would have you lot all down as cynics...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, i can be cynical, too. But only when it deserves it ;-)

Stewart said...

Me an'all Dean, its me age....