Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Mole...

Oh I forgot earlier, on our way home from Alnwick, just outside Alnwick Garden, a strange looking Siamese Cat was chasing something across the road. Fearing for its safety I stuck the hazards on and stopped.

The cats victim was a young Mole and it was making a good way along the road. I chased the cat off and picked up the unfortunate Mole in a paper bag I had in the car. Despite squeaks of protest I wasn't going to handle the little velvet gentleman because I'd read somewhere that they can pack a bite.

I gave the bag to Jane to hold while I got the camera for a snap. Before I could say 'apperture level' the Mole had dug its way out of the bag with its powerful little hands, dropped to the ground and buried itself out of sight.

Nicely in some of the Duchess's newly planted trees. He should be safe enough in there...

4 comments:

Goosey said...

Wise move not to touch the mole...my Father once picked one up that was sauntering across his garden and it bit him well and truly, he ended up in A & E having anti tetanus and causing general amusement to passing ambulance staff! BW Goosey

oldcrow61 said...

Awww, a lovely thing you did. Too bad you weren't able to get a picture.

Anonymous said...

I once chanced upon a mole at St. Mary's Island and couldn't resist the urge to stroke it (it hadn't spotted the giant standing above it) - I know, it's not good behaviour, but it looked (and felt) so soft! It immediately froze, then did a quick 180 degree turn and sped off at a ridiculously unexpected rate of knots.

Stewart said...

G, OC, W - Moles look quite sedate creatures but don't be fooled. They are very strong and can really motor...