Wednesday, March 21, 2007





Top - View towards Cheviot ( on the right) and Hedgehope ( on the left).
Centre - View towards Holy Island, Lindisfarne.
Bottom - Roe Buck.
Click for bigger images.

What a day. Sunny crystal clear with a cold NE 2. A light covering of snow soon melted during the day.

Down to Boulmer first thing and my first summer visitor on the patch ( honest). A Chiffchaff was in bushes along the edge of the golfcourse for five minutes before moving on west. Along the runways, 10+ Meadow Pipits, 2 Reed Bunting, 2 Grey Partridges and a few singing Skylarks.

Late morning I ventured off to the north of the county to look for a displaying Goshawk. All I could manage in the time available was 4+ Buzzards and 2 displaying Sparrowhawks. On the way home I stopped at Denwick where I bumped into 4 Roe Deer resting in the wood. There were two bucks, one in velvet, one clean, and two does. The photo above is through my binoculars hand held hence the quality. I tried to get a better image by fetching my scope from the car, but on my return they had moved off.

A brief seawatch at Boulmer at high tide this afternoon had 190 Kittiwakes North per hour, 250 Gannets Nph, 50 Fulmar Nph and 3 Common Scoter. 170 Curlew were in the fields.

90. Chiffchaff.

No comments: